You want to study further and at the same time continue practising your sport at a high level? In that case, a student-athlete status with individual measures can increase your chances of success!
Which conditions are required?
To be considered eligible, you must meet at least one of the following conditions:
- Recognised as an athlete by the Belgian Olympic and Interfederal Committee (BOIC)
- Recognised as an athlete by the Flemish Sports Federation (VSF)
- Regularly selected for national teams in your age group
- Be a regular participant in international competitions
- Be an active athlete competing in the highest division
- Recognised as a promising athlete
- Qualify or be selected for participation in the Universiade or the World University Championships
Sports that are considered eligible are:
- Included in the list of top-level sports of the Flemish sports agency Bloso/Sport Vlaanderen
- Not included in the list of top-level sports of Bloso/Sport Vlaanderen, but practised by top athletes participating in the Olympic Games, Paralympic Games, European Youth Olympic Days and World Games
- Included in the list of the Universiade or World University Championships
How can you apply for an individual learning certificate?
The application procedure consists of two stages:
Stage 1: Application for student athlete status
- Go to https://studentfile.kdg.be and register.
- Click on ‘new application’ and then ‘individual learning certificate’. Fill out your application.
- Upload your certificates/supporting documents if necessary.
- Submit your application.
- Ruben Grietens will receive your application and invite you to an interview. He will approve your student-athlete status if you meet the criteria
Stage 2: Application for individual measures
- As a recognised athlete would you like to make use of individual study and examination arrangements? If so, make an appointment with the study career counsellor linked to your degree programme.
- As a student you can follow the status of your application in your digital student file. If your application with individual measures is approved, you will find your individual learning certificate in your digital student file. You will be able to consult this certificate at all times there. Print the certificate to make use of special examination arrangements during the exams.
How can you demonstrate this?
You can prove that your sporting level meets the above-mentioned criteria with documents such as:
- Proof of sports club membership
- Proof of national selection
- Overview of training hours and competitions
Are you combining your studies with a Flanders Top Sport Covenant? If so, you may use a maximum of 40 credits. You should notify your study career counsellor about this.