- Are you moved by Europe’s grand societal challenges? This Erasmus+ programme brings together social work, teacher education and healthcare.
- Student in one of these fields? We confront you with similar global challenges in the non-profit sector like human rights, poverty and migration.
- You will work on real life cases from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- All modules are taught in English.
- Lectures are given by our own lecturers, guest lecturers from European institutions for higher education and professionals as well.
- All modules are open to Belgian students as electives, which will create further opportunities for integration.
- You can combine this programme with a work placement for the study programmes Nursing and Midwifery.
- Free courses Dutch Language.
- When? Spring semester only.
What to expect?
Teachers, social workers and healthcare practitioners are confronted with common global challenges. They often work on cases where an interdisciplinary insight into the various areas involved could provide added value. With this programme we try to connect the various non-profit areas across Europe.
The setup of the programme
Dutch Foreign Language level 1 - A
KdG offers free language courses Dutch aiming at all our exchange students. Classes will be organized during the evening hours at campus Groenplaats in the center of Antwerp.
Why study Crossing Borders?
- A great European crossover on common themes and challenges
- Interdisciplinary (out of the box) approach
- Practice oriented
- Diversity of the city of Antwerp
- High quality of the programme and lecturers
- Large scale higher education- small scale setting with a lot of individual attention and support
- Active students network
English language requirements
As the entire programme is taught in English, you should master the English language sufficiently to participate actively in the courses. We highly recommend level B2 in the CEFR.
If you are not proficient enough in English to participate actively in the courses, there is always the risk of failing assignments or examinations. This is entirely the responsibility of the institution sending you.
You can take English (or other) language lessons in the language center of the University of Antwerp (see www.linguapolis.be). Applications and fees should be arranged directly with Linguapolis.
You can also take up the offer of English coaching provided by Karel De Grote University College. The English language support focuses on improving the knowledge and the level of mastery of a foreign language. This assistance comes in various formats:
- digital support module
- individual counselling
- referral to language courses
Spring semester only.
- Welcoming days: 24 & 25 January 2018
Introduction Day Crossing Borders: Friday 26 January 2018 (mandatory)
- Start of the modules ‐ first period of the program: Monday 29 January 2018 Spring holiday: 12 February 2018 – 19 February 2018
Examinations: 26 March 2018 – 31 March 2018
- Start of modules ‐ second period of the program: 17 April 2018 Easter holidays: 3 April 2018 – 17 April 2018
Examinations: 4 June 2018 – 9 June 2018
- End of Crossing Borders: 15- June 2018
Study in Antwerp, Belgium
Antwerp, in the heart of Europe
- Rising fashion city
- Diamond capital of the world
- Second largest port in Europe
- A long history as a meeting point for international business(wo)men
- High speed trains to reach Brussels, Paris, London and Amsterdam in less than 2 hours
- International airports of Brussels and Charleroi (low cost) carry you to all major cities in Europe and the world
Antwerp, city for students
Antwerp has over 44,000 students. On a total of 511,000 inhabitants, that's a lot!
GATE15 works hard for a student-friendly city: sufficient and high-quality housing, a clean and safe student district, cheap rental bikes, cultural offers with great discounts, cheap and safe party areas, clear policies with respect to mounting posters and ragging, and much more.
Who can apply?
Most subjects are open to all students in the fields of healthcare, social work and teacher education.
Only students selected in the framework of a cooperation agreement can be accepted.
2nd semester (Spring semester): 15 November
Antwerp, Belgium – everything close by
International classroom – mix of local and international students
Real life – all hands on deck during project work
Strong network – partnerships with benefits for everyone
Happy students – numbers don’t lie. Join the community!