Accommodation and insurance

It's time to arrange your accommodation and insurance.

If you have any questiones or if you need help with your insurance or recidence permit, please e-mail us at

Student accommodation

Let’s help you on your way to finding your place in Antwerp.

  • Antwerp is a busy student city so it’s important to start your search as soon as possible.
  • House hunting in a new city may feel a little daunting but rest assured we are here to help you.
  • KdG does not have its own student accommodation, which means you are free to look for a home to suit your needs.

Typically, students in Belgium rent a single room in a student house with a shared kitchen, toilet and shower. This type of room is called a kot.

Start by reading this guide from Antwerp’s student centre STAN

Living alone for the first time in a foreign country can be scary but KdG always made a great effort to help me with any questions.
Lea Sehling, student Applied Computer Science at KdG Antwerp
2nd year student

When to start looking for accommodation?

  • Degree student: start looking for accommodation as soon as you receive your (conditional) letter of enrolment. Most rooms become available in May, June and July. The sooner you start looking, the more choice you will have.
  • Exchange student: begin your search once your application is approved and confirmed.


The best place to look for accommodation is Kotweb.

  • This service aims to provide high-quality student accommodation and objective information for students.
  • It also has a useful labelling system that informs you if a particular room meets Flemish legislation and fire safety standards. 
  • With more than 5.000 student rooms, it is also the largest database of student accommodation in Antwerp.

How to Kotweb? Read this Kotweb manual (pdf) with some useful tips to help you with your search.

The average cost of an accommodation in Antwerp is 410 euros for a room with shared bathroom and kitchen, 515 euros for a studio with private facilities, and 675 euros for an apartment.

Neighbourhoods to consider

We suggest you look for a place close to your campus.

  • International Business Management & Applied Computer Science students will be studying at campus Groenplaats.
    • Theatre neighbourhood
    • Nationalestraat
    • the university area
    • North
  • Multimedia & Creative Technology students will be studying at both campus Hoboken and campus Zuid. The majority of the lessons take place at campus Hoboken, which is a bit outside of the city centre, so you may prefer to live close to campus Zuid and commute to campus Hoboken. 
    • South neighbourhood (Zuid),
    • Brederode
    • City centre
    • Hoboken or Wilrijk

Discover more info about the neighbourhoods at Kotweb and check out the student guide and walkabouts.

Ask a KdG student 

It’s a great idea to ask a KdG student about types of accommodation, neighbourhoods or student life in general. They will give you some great advice.

To do this, join our KdG In&Out Facebook group. Here you will also find details of:

  • Local students who are going on an exchange and want to sublet their room
  • Students looking for roommates
  • Departing students selling or giving away their stuff

KdG is not responsible for any accommodation posted in our Facebook group, so please follow these tips:

  • Search via Kotweb.
  • Found a room on Facebook? Check the address on Kotweb to see if it is indeed a student house.
  • Ask for the landlord’s contact details and a copy of his or her ID before signing a contract or transferring money.
  • Questions about quality? Request a free quality survey by phone (+32 3 338 75 74) or email:
  • You can also contact Kotweb, STAN/GATE15, or Student Services with any questions.

99% of students do not experience any problems, but we advise you to follow these tips.

Remote video URL


It is mandatory for all students to arrange health insurance before arrival in Belgium. 

Health insurance means adequate coverage for medical costs in case of illness or injury.

Insurance for EEA-students

If you are from an EU member state, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you should have your own health insurance that already covers your stay in Belgium.

Please check whether that is the case and don’t forget to bring your European Health Insurance Card when coming to Belgium. 

Insurance for non-EEA-students

If you don’t have health insurance yet which is valid in Belgium, e.g. if you come from outside of the EU, there are two ways to get health insurance in Belgium:

  • You can register with one of the five health insurance providers (called 'ziekenfondsen' or 'mutualiteiten')
  • Register with the ‘Hulpkas voor Ziekte- en Invaliditeitsverzekering’ (HZIV), a public social insurance institution.
    • The HZIV offers only the basic mandatory insurance and does not provide any additional insurance plans.
    • Registration is free if your legal place of residence is Belgium and you have no official income.
    • If you do have an income, then your contributions will be adjusted to your income.
    • Specific conditions apply to students whose legal place of residence is in another country 

Additional insurance

The regular public health insurance providers do offer additional insurance plans which allow you to extend your basic health insurance.


You have to pay a contribution for this additional insurance, called the 'mutualiteitsbijdrage' (health insurance contribution). The basic contribution is roughly 8,50 euros per month.

In exchange for this contribution, you will receive additional benefits, services and compensation for payments made, including vaccinations, contact lenses, corrective eyeglasses, personal alarm systems, speech therapy, orthodontic treatment, ambulance transport, osteopathy, chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, some implants, hospital stays, sports club membership, births, adoptions, dental care, youth holidays and care residences.

How to sign up for additional insurance

To sign up for a health insurance provider, you either need to have a Belgian residence permit to be able to get registered as a ‘resident’. Alternatively, you can get registered under a special student statute, in which case you will have to pay a fixed amount on top of your health insurance contribution (approx. 20 euros per month).

After arriving in Belgium, you can then apply for a Belgian residence permit and change your insurance to the resident status.

Insurance providers

All the health insurance providers offer more or less the same services. The following two providers are well-respected and both offer the solution to sign up without having a Belgian residence permit (yet).

It’s up to you to choose one and get in touch with them:

AON is a good insurance provider to cover you before you get your residence permit.

Third-party liability insurance

We also recommend third-party liability insurance.

  • This covers you if you are sued for compensation by a third party, who believes they have suffered a loss due to your negligence or carelessness.
  • It covers third-party material damage and physical injury.
  • For more information contact