Professional bachelor of Applied Computer Science
- Specialise in all aspects of artificial intelligence like machine learning and neural networks – train to be a developer
- Get the whole package: technical scope, solution-oriented training and soft skills sought by the IT sector.
- Apply your skills on integrated projects.
- Be prepared for future technologies – what’s happening now and what’s coming next!
- Get expert coaching, and regular feedback so you can really see your progress and learn by doing
- Work your way up from junior professional to the board of directors through our international company simulation.
- Benefit from KdG’s extensive network, working with international companies and organisations.
- Boost your industry credentials and employability with an eight-week internship working for an international company in Belgium or abroad.
What does this course contain?
Course in brief
Welcome to the rapidly-evolving world of computer science, where we always look to the future. We help you to develop the specialist technical knowledge, ideas and the business know-how needed by today's programmers and developers.
- You will be introduced to programming, artificial intelligence, data science, networks, systems and hardware.
- Learn how to apply the skills you have learnt on one project per semester, under the guidance of expert mentors.
- Focus on socially-relevant themes and deliver sustainable solutions.
- Simulate working for a company. You start out this year as a junior professional, learning business management and intercultural communication.
- Build on all your skills with continued infrastructure learning including scripting, security and encryption.
Take a closer look at AI and more complex programming.
- Your projects this year will include agile development and testing.
- Continue with your real-life company simulation getting to grips with project management and coaching.
- A focus on future technologies in your third year gives you an insight into the latest IT developments.
- Your integration projects this year incorporate application lifecycle management and test driven development.
- You are now fully prepared for your internship. Step out with confidence. You will spend the next eight weeks working for an international company in Belgium or abroad. This will really open doors to your career in computer science.
Courses and credits
Includes: computer architecture, operating systems, networking, scripting, Arduino
Data and artificial intelligence
Includes: SQL databases, data management, data science with Python, data modelling, machine learning
Develops: business management and intercultural communication skills as part of a company simulation
Includes: analysis and design with UML, version control with Git
Includes: operating systems and scripting, security and encryption, virtualisation, containers and cloud computing
Programming & architecture
Includes: design patterns, web technology, Spring, layered architecture, testing, application security, REST
Data and artificial intelligence
Includes: data storage, No-SQL databases, computational complexity, business intelligence, data visualisation, reinforcement learning, deep learning
Develops: coaching, sales and project management skills as part of a company simulation
Includes: agile development, testing and continuous integration
Includes: natural language processing, computational linguistics, information retrieval, AI in gaming, AI and future technologies
Includes: microservice architecture, messaging, front-end development with React, framework/API development
Develops: strategic insight, managing corporate performance and leadership skills as part of a company simulation
Includes: application lifecycle management, test driven development
Includes: trends and future technologies
Get on-the-job experience working for an international company for eight weeks.
- The Welcoming days are from 13 to 16 September 2023 and attendance of these is essential.
- Your classes will then start from Monday, 18 September.
- You commit to a fulltime study program over three years. This means that you are advised to allocate up to 40 hours per week to your study, of which approx. 20-24 hours are classes.
Normally you can expect 1 to 1.5 day per week free which allows you to work on group projects with your colleagues.
- Each week is varied combining a mix of lectures, seminars, team assignments and self-study. Have a look here at the class schedule and an example course timetable
- Have a look at the class schedule and example course timetable
What do you need?
You will need a recent laptop to work out projects, take exams, take notes, communicate ...
- Processor: Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 (recommended: Core i7/ AMD Ryzen 7) or comparable.
- Type: Windows, Linux or Mac (*)
- RAM: 16GB (recommended: 32GB)
- Storage capacity: 256GB (recommended: 512GB)
You can't use a Chromebook.
(*) Not all software you will need is supported on Mac, you might have to find your own alternatives.
You do not need to purchase any software yet.
- This course is taught in English. Good proficiency in English is required.
- You hold a secondary education certificate that grants access to a comparable higher education degree programme in the country it was granted.
- No interview or additional tests are required for admission to KdG.
- There is currently no restriction on the number of places
- Our programme requires curiosity, a strong will to use all of your talents, a readiness to explore, to learn and to perform in an international team.
- Logically-minded. You’re good at solving puzzles, finding out how things work.
- Creative. You like to find your own way to reach a solution, and make a difference in a team.
- AI, programming…the world of future technology, That’s your thing. And you want to know more.
- You learn best by doing. Apply your skills and knowledge on regular projects.
- You want to study with people like you…from all around the world.
Study in Antwerp, Belgium
- Home to more than 44.000 students and around 170 nationalities.
- Antwerp is a safe, diverse and welcoming international student city.
- Situated on the River Scheldt, this mini metropolis is a gateway to the world.
- A perfectly located economic hub steeped in history, and always evolving.
- Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris and London all within easy reach.
Atypical Antwerp, the movie
You will study at our Groenplaats campus in the heart of historic Antwerp, overlooking the main square and cathedral and a short stroll to the shopping precinct on the Meir.
Your lectures will mostly take place here within the faculty of Management & Information Technology. Drop into the library for some quiet study time, get together for group work in The View, or relax in the cafeteria and catch-up with course mates.
The campus enjoys excellent bus and tram links, so getting around the city is straightforward. And with Antwerpen-Centraal station just a short ride away, it means Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris and London are all within easy reach.
+32 3 613 16 00
There is a big demand for highly skilled developers in the IT market. Experience has shown us that KdG graduates are highly valued and employable.
- You will start your networking from day one.
- Some career options for you include artificial intelligence, front/back-end development, IT project management and IT consultancy.
- Or you can start your own business.
The scope of career opportunities within computer science is always growing. At KdG you will receive the skills that the world needs more of. You’ll be able to choose how you will make a difference.
- Pre-arrival guide (visa, proof of solvency, accommodation, cost of living, insurance…)
- Arrival guide (city registration, welcoming days, student services…)
- COVID-19 questions
Want to know more?
Join us at an open day
Saturday 9 March 2024 from 10:00 till 16:00 in Antwerp
Quality education you can count on
As a KdG student you can be sure of a high-quality education at our dynamic university.
- Your teachers are experts in their field, passionate about helping you to develop your potential.
- KdG is an accredited university: quality guaranteed on an international level.
- A detailed management system is in place to systematically review every degree programme.
KdG’s goal is sustainable development: of students, staff and society. We consistently strive to get the best out of everyone.
And by so doing, we help to shape a better future.