Professional bachelor of Applied Computer Science
- Specialise in all aspects of artificial intelligence like machine learning and neural networks – train to be a developer
- Get the whole package: technical scope, solution-oriented training and soft skills sought by the IT sector.
- Apply your skills on integrated projects.
- Be prepared for future technologies – what’s happening now and what’s coming next!
- Get expert coaching, and regular feedback so you can really see your progress and learn by doing
- Work your way up from junior professional to the board of directors through our international company simulation.
- Benefit from KdG’s extensive network, working with international companies and organisations.
- Boost your industry credentials and employability with an eight-week internship working for an international company in Belgium or abroad.
- You can also follow this programme in Dutch.
What does this course contain?
Course in brief
Welcome to the rapidly-evolving world of computer science, where we always look to the future. We help you to develop the specialist technical knowledge, ideas and the business know-how needed by today's programmers and developers.
- You will be introduced to programming, artificial intelligence, data science, networks, systems and hardware.
- Learn how to apply the skills you have learnt on one project per semester, under the guidance of expert mentors.
- Focus on socially-relevant themes and deliver sustainable solutions.
- Simulate working for a company. You start out this year as a junior professional, learning business management and intercultural communication.
- Build on all your skills with continued infrastructure learning including scripting, security and encryption.
Take a closer look at AI and more complex programming.
- Your projects this year will include agile development and testing.
- Continue with your real-life company simulation getting to grips with project management and coaching.
- A focus on future technologies in your third year gives you an insight into the latest IT developments.
- Your integration projects this year incorporate application lifecycle management and test driven development.
- You are now fully prepared for your internship. Step out with confidence. You will spend the next eight weeks working for an international company in Belgium or abroad. This will really open doors to your career in computer science.
Courses and credits
Includes: computer architecture, operating systems, networking, scripting, Arduino
Data and artificial intelligence
Includes: SQL databases, data management, data science with Python, data modelling, machine learning
Develops: business management and intercultural communication skills as part of a company simulation
Includes: analysis and design with UML, version control with Git
Includes: operating systems and scripting, security and encryption, virtualisation, containers and cloud computing
Programming & architecture
Includes: design patterns, web technology, Spring, layered architecture, testing, application security, REST
Data and artificial intelligence
Includes: data storage, No-SQL databases, computational complexity, business intelligence, data visualisation, reinforcement learning, deep learning
Develops: coaching, sales and project management skills as part of a company simulation
Includes: agile development, testing and continuous integration
Includes: natural language processing, computational linguistics, information retrieval, AI in gaming, AI and future technologies
Includes: microservice architecture, messaging, front-end development with React, framework/API development
Develops: strategic insight, managing corporate performance and leadership skills as part of a company simulation
Includes: application lifecycle management, test driven development
Includes: trends and future technologies
Get on-the-job experience working for an international company for eight weeks.
- The Welcoming days are from 13 to 16 September 2023 and attendance of these is essential.
- Your classes will then start from Monday, 18 September.
- On average you will have 22 hours of lessons per week.
- Normally you can expect 1 to 1.5 day per week free which allows you to work on group projects with your colleagues.
- Each week is varied combining a mix of lectures, seminars, team assignments and self-study. Have a look here at the class schedule and an example course timetable
- Have a look at the class schedule and example course timetable
What do you need?
Your own laptop that meets the specifications below. If you need to replace your old laptop, we recommend that you wait until you start the programme. That way, you will have a clearer idea of what you require.
- Screen diagonal: no preference
- Processor: minimum Intel Core i5, preferably i7
- Internal RAM: minimum 16GB
- Hard disk storage capacity: minimum 512 GB
- Graphics card: no specifications
- VGA port: desirable but not strictly necessary
- Operating system: free (Windows, Linux or Mac), but certain programs are only available for Windows
- Possibility of booting (‘starting’) from a CD or USB stick; It must be possible to install Linux natively (UEFI needs to be able to turn off 'Secure boot')
- Wi-Fi specifications: it is best to choose a device with an 'A' (for example ‘Wi-Fi A’, ‘Wireless A’, ‘Wi-Fi AC’, ‘Wireless AC’). These network cards can handle both 2.4 and 5GHz.
- Logically-minded. You’re good at solving puzzles, finding out how things work.
- Creative. You like to find your own way to reach a solution, and make a difference in a team.
- AI, programming…the world of future technology, That’s your thing. And you want to know more.
- You learn best by doing. Apply your skills and knowledge on regular projects.
- You want to study with people like you…from all around the world.
- This course is taught in English. Good proficiency in English is required.
- You hold a secondary education certificate that grants access to a comparable higher education degree programme in the country it was granted.
- Strongly motivated, open-minded and goal-driven students.
- Our programme requires curiosity, a strong will to use all of your talents, a readiness to explore, to learn and to perform in an international team.
Study in Antwerp, Belgium
- Home to more than 44.000 students and around 170 nationalities.
- Antwerp is a safe, diverse and welcoming international student city.
- Situated on the River Scheldt, this mini metropolis is a gateway to the world.
- A perfectly located economic hub steeped in history, and always evolving.
- Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris and London all within easy reach.
Atypical Antwerp, the movie
You will study at our Groenplaats campus in the heart of historic Antwerp, overlooking the main square and cathedral and a short stroll to the shopping precinct on the Meir.
Your lectures will mostly take place here within the faculty of Management & Information Technology. Drop into the library for some quiet study time, get together for group work in The View, or relax in the cafeteria and catch-up with course mates.
The campus enjoys excellent bus and tram links, so getting around the city is straightforward. And with Antwerpen-Centraal station just a short ride away, it means Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris and London are all within easy reach.
+32 3 613 16 00
Work or study?
This new programme is modelled on our existing Dutch-language bachelor’s degree which has an impressive employment record among graduates. Experience has taught us that our graduate profile is actively sought after by recruiters.
Our programme is designed to get you ready for work. We help to train you as a full stack developer who can take on projects in artificial intelligence, data management, front end and back end. This skillset is sought by a wide range of sectors.
Or perhaps you want to continue your studies with a master’s degree in computer science? Check back for future study option updates.
- Pre-arrival guide (visa, proof of solvency, accommodation, cost of living, insurance…)
- Arrival guide (city registration, welcoming days, student services…)
- COVID-19 questions
Want to know more?
Join us at open day
Tuesday 13 December from 16:00 till 18:00 CEST - More info
Saturday 11 March 2023 from 10:00 till 17:00 in Antwerp
Saturday 22 April 2023 from 10:00 till 14:00 in Antwerp
Quality education you can count on
As a KdG student you can be sure of a high-quality education at our dynamic university.
- Your teachers are experts in their field, passionate about helping you to develop your potential.
- KdG is an accredited university: quality guaranteed on an international level.
- A detailed management system is in place to systematically review every degree programme.
KdG’s goal is sustainable development: of students, staff and society. We consistently strive to get the best out of everyone.
And by so doing, we help to shape a better future.